Oats and wheat are among the most famous cereals in the world. Both of them are rich in protein and fiber and provide lots of health benefits. Consuming any of these grains is always a good option for you. Here we will discuss the benefits and negatives of oats and wheat.
It is among the most popular cereals in the world and is consumed by more than half of the population in the world. Oats as a dish is the healthiest breakfast one could eat. These are rich in protein and fiber which helps in balancing the metabolism and also helps in weight management.
It is a kind of grass that is ranked as the third most-produced cereal following maize and rice. As it is highly popular because of its productivity, it also provides many health benefits. Wheat is commonly found in bread, cakes and pastries. Wheat is also commonly used in the production of beer.
Nutrition Comparison of Oats and Wheat
|Total Fat||10.8 g||2.5 g|
|Protein||26.4 g||13 g|
|Fiber||16.5 g||11 g|
|Calcium||8 %||3 %|
|Carbs||103 g||72 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.9 g||0.4 g|
Macronutrients present in wheat are protein, carbs, dietary fiber, total sugars, monosaccharides, disaccharides, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, etc.
Benefits of eating Oats and Wheat
- Oats are rich in antioxidants including avenanthramides
- Avenanthramides helps in lowering the blood pressure levels
- Oats help in improving blood sugar levels
- It also helps in weight loss
- It is also used to make facial scrubs
- Consuming oats in breakfast also helps in curing asthma
- It also helps in providing relief from constipation and irritable bowel movements
- Oats contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants like thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium, and iron
- It contains fiber (soluble and insoluble) that helps in lowering cholesterol and maintains blood glucose levels
- Wheat helps in preventing colon cancerand promotes gut health
- It is very high in nutrients and fiber
- It also helps in lowering the risk of health problems
- Consuming wheat also reduces the risk of obesity
- Fiber present in wheat helps in lowering the risk of constipation
Side effects of Oats and Wheat
Cons of Oats
- Do not consume oats if you feel difficulty in swallowing or chewing
- Poorly chewed oats can result in blockage of the intestine
- Regular consumption of oats can create problems related to disorders of the digestive tracts including esophagus, stomach and intestines
Cons of Wheat